Now the waters have subsided and the roads are on their way to being rectified by Main Roads and most stranded Traveller’s are comfy in a new location, it’s all a bit ‘what was all the fuss about?‘
We were still at Starvation Bay on Tuesday 21st February (2 weeks since arriving there) when a Council worker drove by and advised that if we wanted to leave we should do it NOW! It had started raining again and he could see some of the gravel roads being cut off again. Luckily we had already hooked up and packed up the day before so we were easily in the car and heading out in 15 minutes!!
We headed up Fence Road where we saw where the rush of water had eroded all the sides of the road for kilometres. A single lane was open, the council had laid sand over boggy areas so we got through with ease. Turned onto Jerdacuttup Road and followed it to the South East Highway. Only one or two areas underwater and no problem getting through.
The rain didn’t ease so we were glad we’d heeded his warning about leaving. The winds were increasing to 40klm/hr gusts so we took refuge in a gravel pit 20klm’s out of Esperance for the night (along with a number of backpackers!).
Now we are comfortably staying at a van park in Esperance, re-stocking and having a clean up. The weather has been wonderful since arriving here!!
I guess my advice to Traveller’s who also find themselves in this situation: carry enough water and food to last you a week longer than you think you need – the dried foods such as pasta, noodles, powdered milk, flour, sugar etc can be lifesavers!!
We still quite enjoyed our time at Mason’s and Starvation Bay’s, despite the delay!!
The Grey Nomads website had an article on the flooding in this area…..http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/flood-2/