After a long stay in Queensland visiting friends, relatives and generally ‘warming up’ it’s time to head homewards (SA). Looking on our map there aren’t too many untravelled roads which makes it tough to find a new road to explore.
So after a few days on familiar roads heading out of Brisbane passing through small towns Cecil Plains, Millmerran, Inglewood, Goondiwindi (and finding the bumpiest roads we’d been on in a while) we ended up in Thallon, south west Qld. Good timing too as the 2-3 day heat wave was about to hit along with dust storms.
Thallon, Qld offers all a Traveller needs:
- Power $5.50 pn or free unpowered area
- Water (good bore, drinkable)
- Amenities with hot showers & toilets
- Silo Art “The Watering Hole” by Drapl & The Zookeeper – a drawcard for tourists following the trail
- A pub with cold beverages, good prices and tasty meals – the Francis Hotel (pay your camp fees here)
- and lots of wildlife that visit the town continuously.
We watched a procession of Travellers drop in to view the painted silos after they had a BIG long weekend at Nindigully Pub’s Film & Music Festival.